Thursday, March 14, 2013

Do you need complete privacy to write a book?

By Dennis Mellersh

It has been recommended by many book authors that, ideally, you should  have privacy, or a special place, in which to write.

I explained some of the reasons in one of my posts: A dedicated place of your own to write your book

However, what I wrote was not meant to imply that this is a rule. It is definitely not a rule, and it does not mean that you can’t write effectively in a place that is not private.
 
In fact, one of the world’s most prolific book and short story writers, Ray Bradbury, did a lot of his writing in places that were not private.

In an interview in the Paris Review* the interviewer asked Bradbury:

“Where do you do your writing?”

 Bradbury answered:

“I can work anywhere. I wrote in bedrooms and living rooms when I was growing up with my parents and my brother in a small house in Los Angeles. I worked on my typewriter in the living room, with the radio and my mother and dad and brother all talking at the same time. Later on, when I wanted to write Fahrenheit 451, I went up to UCLA and found a basement typing room where, if you inserted ten cents into the typewriter, you could buy thirty minutes of typing time.”

Bradbury explained in a different interview that he used up a lot of dimes this way.

Bradbury had to write this way at the beginning of his writing life because of circumstances.

However, there are some writers who prefer by choice to do at least some of the work on their books in public places such as coffee shops. This approach can give you, as a beginning writer a break, a change of pace, and refresh you.

Writing a book is tough work, so do what you find comfortable.

Whichever way  you decide to work, however, remember that it is still a good idea to have a central place where you can keep your work and your writing tools organized and within easy access.

* You can read the entire interview with Ray Bradbury here:

http://www.theparisreview.org/

Just click on the Interviews section

No comments:

Post a Comment